Letter to the Board of Selectmen – 03/13/2022
Unitarian Universalist Society of
4 Cleaves Street
Rockport, MA 01966
March 13, 2022
Dear Board of Selectmen,
The Unitarian University Society of Rockport is pleased to write a letter of support for the Rockport Municipal Government Resolution for Net Zero Energy by 2040.
Our congregation is actively involved in working on climate justice issues in our beloved town of Rockport.
As you may know, our church was built in Rockport in 1829; we have a long-standing presence in town. Our church mission statement is: We are a loving and welcoming religious community, striving to grow spiritually, to live our values through worship and service, and to build a more just and peaceful world. Furthermore, as Unitarian Universalists, our congregation affirms and promotes the following seven Principles, which we hold as strong values and moral guides to our lives and work:
1. The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
2. Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
3. Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
4. A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
5. The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
6. The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
7. Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
We appreciate any and all actions that the Select Board, residents and town officials can take to further the work of environmental justice and climate action, including supporting this Net Zero Energy Resolution. We are also working in our own congregation to further these efforts in our own lives and community.
Pam Amico, President Board of Trustees
Rev. Susan Moran, Minister